Scope and Contents
Cemetery Inventories are filed alphabetically under the name of the cemetery, except when a cemetery inventory is large enough to warrant a separate folder. Folders not listed under a letter of the alphabet in the folder listing below represent separate cemetery folders.
- 1993 - 2001
- Davis, Peggy (Compiler, Person)
As of May 2001, no publication or institution contains a comprehensive list of cemetery inventories in Pike County. Peggy Davis, Professor of Anthropology at Pikeville College, often assigned cemetery inventories as a classroom exercise, and many of the inventories included in the collection are a result of the labors of her students. As volunteers completed an inventory of a local cemetery, they were encouraged to donate them to Special Collections, where they are open to all researchers. Special Collections contains 126 cemetery inventories for eastern Kentucky and West Virginia. Another reference to local cemetery inventories is the series "East Kentucky Cemeteries" and "Floyd County Cemeteries," published by Joe Skeens.
Language of Materials
Donated by various individuals since 1993.
- Cemeteries -- Kentucky Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Floyd County (Ky.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letcher County (Ky.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pike County (Ky.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pikeville College -- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cemetery Inventory
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Frank M. Allara Library Repository
147 Sycamore St.
Pikeville KY 41501